on Monday, May 08, 2006


Inspirational...one step forward
I received lot of mails from people who visited my blog asking why I haven't updated. I am trying spend some time with my cassettes and cd's, trying to understand the nuances of classical music and also in the process of converting those into Cd's. It is time consuming. Apart from that I had my university exams, so couldn't take off my mind from some funky theories on journalism. Let me come to the point. Probably within few days i would be graduating and i don't what lies ahead. I guess most of us face this dilema..though let me not generalise it. Its been days since I went to movie theatre and watched some good movies. Common guys after Rang De Basanti(RDB) nothin really concrete. Unfortunately projects, presentations forced me to be with my best mate..the computer.But thanks to our local cable operator atleast three months after the release he must have had mercy on me and I caught up with this film.

It begins with the hanging of Bahgat Singh. At the outset it seems like anyother 'fight against the system' film.But its from the point of view of the present generation who have lost all hopes for improvement, its more realistic.But the real beauty of the film lies in the way the script has been written. It draws a parallel between the past and the present. According to me the first half of the film doesn't touch upon the issue of corruption, for a moment i thought the plot wasn't good enough, but i was wrong. The real climax of the film was the MiG crash. I guess the screenplay was intentionally inspired. The death of the MiG pilot with that of Lalalajpat Rai and the killing of the defence minister equivalent to Saunders. The film has everything in it. Fantastic music, amazing screen play, dialogues(its the kind of language that we speak). In fact RDB creates new definitions of patriotism. You don't have sunny deol desperately shouting"Bharat Mata ki Jai" and single handedly defeating the Pakistani Army.I don't have a say on whether we should appreciate the steps taken by the youngsters in the film, but i think we can do away with this social evil only if we fight as a cohesive unit. The other day i read an article in a magazine relating to this film where the critic was of the opinion that today's youth don't have much to fight about. I think it is ridiculous to say such things in a magazine.There are lot of youngsters who are working towards this cause.At the end of the day its just a step forward. RDB is truely an inspiration to all of us...Though one problem with the film, I think the army action in the end and killing those five characters definately sends a wrong signal. But at the end of the day its one of the few bollywood films where you don't find any main lead...Rang De Basanti is not over patriotic but after watching it we unanimously feel more Indian. Its definately too late to say worth watching but those who grab the DVD from the nearest shop full paisa vasool

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

You have hit the mark. It seems to me it is very excellent thought. Completely with you I will agree.