on Friday, March 16, 2007

Obsession.....

Off late my obsession to listen to yesteryear musicians has helped me unearth some beautiful compositions. I have heard them rendered by the musicians like Sudha Ragunathan, Sanjay Subramanium and T.M.Krishna and many more. But i believe there is something that makes it much better when MLV, Semmangudi or Santhanam render it. Whether it is Dakshinamurthe by Semmangudi, Evarimata by MLV or Charukesi varnam by Santhanam. The way they have explored the ragas encourages students like me to listen more and analyse music. The experience is inexplicable. I do not want to take the effort that musician's like Sudha or any other artist have put in while singing the same krithi. It sounds good even when they sing. By the way let not anybody mistake me for comparing the artist. Its a thought that i preferred to pen it here and my experience after listening to some brilliant music rendered by these masters :)
Click here for downloading Evarimata,Charukesi (You can download the entire concert)

1 Comment:

Eroteme said...

Santhanam as in Maharajapuram Santhanam!? :-o
Dunno why, but I don't like his renditions.
BTW, there is a Ram Navami classical music series being held in Bangalore. In case you are planning to spare time and come down here (assuming you are still in Bombay), I could send you the schedule. Some very interesting concerts (starting 27th). Who's Erotme? :-)