on Saturday, December 08, 2007

Tribute to my Guru-Part II

As i said in my previous post i shall continue my journey here. I am sorry for procrastinating it. Some how i didn't have the courage. But mami when i went to your flat two days back i could hear the strings strumming and the words tanam anamtha being played.... I still remember my first krithi. As it is believed it is important to invoke the blessings of Lord ganesha for a smooth sailing, I learnt the wonderful Maha Ganaptim krithi in nattai set to eka thalam. I had listened to this krithi million times before this, but when she taught it i lost myself. From then on the journey was completely different.

Different in the aspect of my approach to music. How can i forget you mami for helping me come out of crucial problems and illness. I remember you teaching me sahana so that i forget all my problems. The sahana krithi vandanamu became a part of my life. Even today when i listen to sahana tears starts trickling down my cheeks.... As days passed i started learning chauka kala krithis in bhairavi and hemavathi and few other ragas...

Many in the field of carnatic music would opine that neraval and kalpana swaram cananot be taught but mamai disapproved with this school of thought....... She believed unless you don't teach them them how put them how will they inculcate the manodhrama aspect....Probably once they get hold of the knack it is their creativity to put it.....Will my mami come back to teach how to put neraval in the krithi upacharamu or kuzhaludi manamellam......Uh....What if we had rewind button in our life and go back to those wonderful days...

I should mention this experience....When i gave my first major concert for one and half hours mami ensured that i attended class everyday and during the last fifteen days the practice session used to last for hours together....I never realised how time flew...At the end of the concert mami seemed more happier than eany one else....I could see it on her face...in her eyes... What more can i ask for....

I think this blog space isn't enough for me to share all our experiences...Even today as i write I am listening to an amazing simmhendra madhyamam tanam played by her...May in the future when i talk more about music, I will mention how i learnt the nuances from her... When i visited her place few days back, my voice choked...I could feel her walking in the house...welcoming with a warm smile and asking what was the plan of action for the day....After having learnt so many years I am unable to play today...Mami will come and hit me on my fingers...The way you did when i didn't play a gamakam correctly during a kalyani alapana or when i was repeatedly not pulling the string enough to bring the essence of kamboji...I want you to do it...Are you hearing...I hope you are....

2 Comments:

Musical Scientist said...

Dear Padma..wonderful post..will read thru your blog at leisure. I am copy pasting my reply to your comments on my blog here..enjoy

Dear Padma,
You can listen to around 400 dIkshithar krithis at http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~dikshithar
Please make use of this website. Thanks to the support of some wonderful friends, my friend Sunil and I, we are running this website for dikshithar bhakthas. You can listen to this krithi and many more there..enjoy :)
It is our duty to spread this bliss we experience thanks to the great nAdajyOthi. I am extremely glad that you are liking my blog a lot. Thanks a lot for your kind words :).
Singing in the bathroom and caught by a violinist a...hahaha..sooper :).
btw..I am posting this comment on one of your blogs so that you dont miss using the website anymore..an abs treasure trove it is :). Enjoy!!

Musical Scientist said...

Padma, I am once again copy-pasting my reply to your comments on my blog here. It would be great to get in touch with you for our music sessions.

Padma, I saw that you dont update your blog regularly. Please write more when you get time..I really liked reading thru it. And yes..as I told you, almost all of dIkshithar krithis in circulation have been collected and uploaded in our website..so please make use of it.
And regarding sessions with friends, you are most welcome to join us..we would be very happy :). Let me know how to contact you and we will session together :)

Sai