on Monday, February 20, 2006


Series on Musicians - I
Bharat Ratna Dr.M.S.Subbulakshmi


One of the greatest given to us by our god is our art and culture. I think i am fortunate enough to have got an oppurtunity to learn and understand the beauty of our classical music. Expressing it through an instrument is more beautiful. I have been learning veena for the past 7yrs and every day i still yearn to learn more and explore the beauty of our music. Our forefathers have a struggled to keep this traditional music alive and pass it on to the next generation. There are many musicians who have played an important role in this field. In the coming weeks I would like to express my views on them and their influence in my music. I might miss out some of the doyens in thisprocess, but I am trying figure only those whom I have been exposed till today. Let me start my first series with a musician who needs no introduction to all music lovers.
The nightingale of India, the Queen of Music...These are just few anecdotes that describe this artist. The former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru said "Who am I mere Prime Minister before this Queen of Music" after screening film meera where she had enacted the role of Meera. Now, i guess i need not mention her name. You must have recognised her by now...'Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi'. I was barely a year and half when i first listened to her magic voice. I have been told by my grandparents that I used to have food only after listening to her cassette in which she has rendered 'Ganesha Pancharatnam'. I cannot figure out why this was so special to me then and even now. Each composition rendered by her sounds so different as compared to someone else's rendition. The fine tuning that she provides to each compostion is amazing. I think lot has been told about her life especially after her demise on 11th dec' 2004. One look at her charming face refreshes your mind. Looking at those beautiful dark eyes i feel as though she is talking to me. I have grown listening to her music. I think it would be difficult to find atleast one house hold in India where her renditon of Suprabatam is not played early in the morning.

As i started writing i was trying to analyse one of my favourite renditions by M.S.Subbulakshmi. Now it was really tough for me.Unfortunately I have never got an oppurtunity to listen to her concert. Probably I would regret it till the end of my life..Though i must have listened to more than 500 concerts. The best of all would have been hers if that list would have included hers. People who have met her say that she was one musician who was selfless. Now , one of her best rendition that has influenced me is Shankarabharanam. As she goes on to the higher octave she transcends us to a different world which can't be described but only felt. Let me relate to you an incident that proves that she was perfectionist. (this was told to me by my veena teacher Smt. Mangalam Muthuswamy). Once when MS amma was in Bangalore to give a concer my teacher was invited by her to join her for lunch.[how fortunate :-) ]. As always the topic of discussion was music. After having their lunch, amma said that she had to fine tune some krithi and that she had to go inside. Now, my teacher was surprised and told that a musician of your stature can go on to the stage and give a concert. Prompt came the reply "The goldsmith doesn't give you the ornament without polishing it. Ornamentation is required, though i might have rendered this 108 times. MEzgu podavendama (she said this in tamil)". Even a raga like pushpalathika, now what can you do with this raga, but when you listen to her rendition of Ikanaika you get the answer. Proportion is higly essential while rendering neraval and swarams and MS amma perfected this art. Never would you feel that she has done more than what was required. The way she used to built a krithi, from the pallavi to the charanam is worth mentioning. Every gamakam would be bang on target. Now it is difficult to explain it quantitatively. Probably if you listen to her rendering any raga alapana or a krithi you can understand it. Rendering a raga alapana is not only getting the raga right (structurally) but proceeding it in the right fashion. When amma rendered raga alapana you feel the whole presentation was so natural to her. One more important aspect that has influenced me is her diction. Ask her to sing in any language she would take pains to go and learn the right way to sing it. Her pronounciation was impeccable and probably the best.Her open throated and clean use of voice is like a guidance manual for every musician and student of music. I guess one of the striking quality of hers was the never ending attitude to learn. Probably, that's the reason why she used to say "I would always prefer to be a student than be a teacher". The most important differentiation between a good musician and a great musician is the skill of communication. I guess MS amma had mastered the art of gauging the pulse of the audience. Now, you may have all the technical knowledge but what's the use if you can't sync it with the audience. Everybody who went to her concert would feel one with her and her music. I think there are very few musicians who have this uncanny knack of understanding the audience. I guess if one starts talking about MS amma it would be a never ending and an enchanting experience. MS amma is still with us and would always be for centuries to come.


9 Comments:

filterkaapi said...

hav 2 agree shankarabharnam was ultimate! not many people know this but AIR has a collector's edition of MS classics, which is a must-buy. something equally enchantin is her Pittsburg Sri Venkateshwara concert & Madhurashtakam in Misra Kamaj Raaga

Padma said...

thnx sapien 4 visiting...

dusky hues said...

hi padma...
must thank u for taking me back in time... the subrabhatam... has this holy experience...
beautiful.
dont have much knowledge about classical music... but i know she means classical music.
waiting for other works.
all the best.

Padma said...

knowing music ain't important to me...i guess if u r able to appreciate any form of gud work then thts speaks for urself...but MS according to me is the diya of Classical Music....

Ajit Kumar L said...

First of all thank you for the initiative. It was really enchanting to read about MS Amma. Once you have listened to her music, you will forget everything else!

I had the fortune of listening to her concert once at Madras Music Academy (goes without saying -- in a jam packed hall!)

Even though now, it is more than 15 years, I still remember the Endaro Mahanu Bhavulu, and the Abhogi piece Sabhapathiku. Though I have listened the latter of many other musicians, the one MS Amma was special. Further, the neraval at 'Oru tharam siva...' was simply superb!

krishna said...

Dear Padma,

The greatest thing about our M.S.S ammas music is the presence of bhakthi

YOu might be interested in this blog dedicated to write on M.S.S amma that we started out to write

http://voicedivine.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Padma,

First of all thanks a lot ... Every time I hear or think of MS amma the feeling is divine... I just wanted to write my feelings:

I am 25 years old and I never could see or be in a kutcheri of hers.

When I was very young to know what carnatic music was, I grew up with the bhaja govindam and sahasranamam enlivening my house. Thats when I learnt the sahasranamam because I loved hearing it . Unknowingly it deep rooted devotion to god and love of music in my physche and I started learning music.

When I was in college up in Punjab I couldnt find a teacher and the usual engineering studies kept me away from music.. Then one day I heard "Kurai onnum Illai" and from that day I can't enjoy anything except carnatic music.. I simply enjoy the depth of this music.

I started collecting all the songs sung by her and it always made me feel more closer to the divine..

Then when I started working( in Delhi)I had this strange incident:

One night she came in my dream and I touched her feet and asked a question .

Q: You sing so many songs for Narayana and bhakti drips from your songs . Have you seen him?

A: Yes every morning he comes to my place and sits beside me and listens to my music( I believe this must be true!!).

Then she blessed me and said you should learn music and sing the raga Udayaravichandrika at 4 AM and you will see him in person.

I had never heard this raga's name in my life and there is no way my brain could have conjured it up! I feel blessed.

I wish I could have touched her feet and taken her blessings in real life.

I started learning music immediately and carnatic music is my other life. I have now shifted to Stanford University for my further studies and I keep praying to her to bless me with music in my life.. I am anxiously waiting to start learning music again as soon as possible.

I have tried to have a collection of all her songs which are commercially available, but want to build it more. I really want to collect and share all the songs she has sung and has been recorded !!. Can you help me in that?

I am just a amatuer naive person to comment about music but I feel if a musician can take you to one such moment in song where you just melt and want that ecstasy to envelope you forever.. The moment where you can see Narayana .. thats great music..

It is impossible to count but thats what happens when she goes to "duritamudirchi varalichi palinstu kamaikshi"( concluding line in Palintsu Kamakshi)

"Mepula kai " in Rama nannu brovara

"Oru daram" in sabhapatikku,"Naa loni " ( pallavi of Tera tiyaga rada)

The kaplana swarams and ragam in Thodi ( "Dasarathi Nee " )....

The list is endless and so is the divinty in her music

Sankaran

Anyone interested in sharing more music of MS Amma please contact me and let me join your group.

Anonymous said...

hey padu nice to see in blogsphere.
well i am on word press

will be adding u.best way to be in touch.isnt it.

A Random Traveler said...

Kudos for starting the series! Waiting for your next stalwart on the list, BMK or GNB?? I am guessin hard here.

MS was the messenger of our classical music. I am an amateur towards music. Someone who started learning far later in life because of the emotional impact of the classical renditions.

One more aspect of MS that i would like to add is the "Raga rasa" that she created with each of her raga. Whatever it is, you hear adamodi in charukeshi by her, u melt along with it. And of course the bhakti rasas in Baja govindam.

I hope she gets a rebirth soon to enchant us again.

Regards,
Perumal.