Shankarabharanam-The Beauty

on Sunday, July 20, 2008


I have been listening to Shankarabharanam continously for three days. Even when am in office, I kept humming it, thankfully because of the fire accident on Thursday night and the developments, there is not much work in office. So enjoyed so many versions of this beautiful ragam, thought why not talk about it here. All said and done, mere black and white words can't substitute the pleasure of listening to it.

Talking about Shankarabharanam, I really don't remember when I listened to it first, but wake me up from my bed and I can sing the basic sketch and catch the jeeva swaras(But please don't try it :P). I would have heard it at least zillion times, but there is something that just pulls me. Shankarbharnam immediately brings to mind a sedate and a serene thought. Just a karvai in Anatara Gandhara and I can imagine Dakshinamurthi in deep penance.

This is one raga, where all the swaras contribute to the rakthi of the raga. But according to me the life rests in the Gandharam. If you tune the tambura perfectly and sing the ghandhara, trust me its bliss. But whether it is the combination of G and M, or M and P, its just perfect. But a point to be noted is that nishada prayogam is more significant as an anuswaram.

Anyways moving away from the technicalities, this ragam is synonymous with MSS for her beautiful rendition. There are innumerable compositions that one can talk about in this ragam. The first of course is the wonderful Sami Ninnekori Varanam by Veena Kupaiyer. The trinity have ofcourse composed gems. Tyagaraja to my knowledge has composed more than 20 krithis. Each one has been gifted with some beautiful proyagas and bringing out the nuances of the raga. Take for instance Swara Raga Sudha, one of the most commonly sung, that talks about the great purpose or the popular Enthuku peddala, or Buddhi Radhu or Ethuta Nilachite where in the Charanam the saint questions the cowardly act of Rama of attacking Sugreeva from behind the bushes. Now it is important to note that this raga surely gives the scope to sing innumerable prayogas or even varja prayogas (mostly in the arohanams say RGMDN or GMDNR etc).

Anyways talking about Dikshitar, one krithi that I stands out is Akshayalinga Vibho. Who can forget the great Ariyakudi's rendition of this majestic krithi. This krithi has been composed on Akshayalinga swami, temple, located in a small village called Kezhvelur (Approximately 20 mins from Tiruvarur). Fortunately this temple is also our kula daivata (Family Deity) and hence I was even more thrilled when I learnt it. I will deal about the temple and krithi may be sometime later, but definitely one gets charged up while singing this in the sanctum sanctorium. Also who can forget the Navavarnam composed the by him. Such a beautiful description of the goddess and the ragam and the lyrics just blends. Dikhsithar excels in this. One more master piece is his Jhampa Thala krithi Dakshinamurthe that exemplifies his vidwat and as I said in the beginning, the very first prayoga itself sums it all.

Another famous krithi that has been MSS forte of course is Sarojadala Netri. Brinda Ammas rendition also stands apart. In fact I have their rendition of Akshayalinga Vibho which is my priced possession. The sowkhyam in their music is what I really enjoy. I don't remember any musician who hasn't enjoyed singing this ragam.

It is difficult for me to single out one particular rendition as my favourite. MS amma of course excelled in this raga and in fact I can write an entire post on every sangathi and every prayoga that she sings. So beautifully woven that one just forgets everything. Since I am not fortunate to listen to the yesteryear musicians, their recodings speak volumes. I wonder, what if I would have born a little earlier to listen to them. Well whether is Maharajapuram Santhanam's rendition of Manasu Swadhina ( I think a philadelhpia concert), MLV ammas Ethuta Nilachite (KGS 1981). This concert has to be said since PMI accompanied her and the two jambavans have taken the concert to different heights. In fact I have a recording of Mali where he has played some mind blowing Sangathis in the Manthara Sthayi.

In the current scene, I think TMKs rendition at Music Academy during 2004 season still remains fresh. Sudha Ragunathan, one of favourites has sung so many times that there is a sparkle in her eyes when she starts with the first phrase. I haven't heard Sanjay sing it live, but I posses a Charsur recording where he has sung an amazing Shankaracharyam.

I think the list is endless. I can just keep talking about this ragam. A concluding remark. One person who enjoys it listening more than me is ofcourse my grand father. I have already spoken about him earlier in this blog. But we have had innumerable sessions on the beauty of this raga...Thatha would just begin and contiue for hours together..No wonder I enjoy it too....And here when i am typing listening to Sudhas rendition of Dakshinamurthey, a recording released by Amutham, I think Music Academy concert...

Here is the link published in Sangeetham.com few years ago.

2 Comments:

Sathej said...

One truly soothing and excellent piece is Chinthaye Sadgurum. This is actually a Guru Vandanam sung in the Bhajana Padhathi. But it was elevated to a full fledged main with Alapanai, Neraval and Swaram and sung for nearly an hour by TNS in an old concert. Lalgudi Mama on the violin. Pure bliss :) Sankarabharanam is a beautfiul Ragam indeed. Good blog. Keep posting..:)
Sathej

Padma said...

Sathej thanks for pointing out this krithi...Would check that out soon...Thanks for commenting